Monday, September 03, 2012

Can virtual life substitute your real one?

Suggna (name changed) shares, “I was completely addicted to Second Life. I also had a virtual partner, whom I married too in the game. I would love to teleport myself over mountains and shuttle from one mall to another. Picking expensive accessories and clothes and changing my look every now and then was my favourite way to kill time. Soon I was so involved that I longed to go home from work and often real life didn’t seem as interesting as the one onscreen. I had to make a conscious effort to pull myself out of Second Life because I realised I was so drawn towards it that I would skip lunch and instead of digging into my food I would huddle in front of my computer screen and live my virtual life during office hours.” Not that there isn’t an option of an alternative virtual career, but risking your real-life job for it wouldn’t be among the best of ideas. Hence a majority of offices have blocked such sites, which divert employees’ attention from work. But pros like Suggna always find proxy servers and alternate IP addresses!

Simulation techniques are good, but mostly for training purposes, learning and entertainment. How far can one continue to live a virtual life in a computer generated world? With Internet speeds getting faster by the day the virtual world will seem more and more real. Games are fun as long as they don’t spill into a territory where one is forced to question one’s sanity. Strokes of creativity and ingenuity are best appreciated when painted on the screens of our real lives…